Relax and enjoy the sounds of water passing underneath the boat, birds swooping over the dam and fish jumping from the depths, all while you sip your drinks and enjoy satisfying snacks.
Harties offers the unique canvas for your next couples date,
family outing, corporate or private celebratory event and choose between the following;
Daily Lunch Cruise
A guided tour of Hartebeesport dam taking in all the history, fauna and flora of the construction and the area, snacking to a scrumptious selection of traditional South African hot and cold finger and fork gourmet snacks.
Departing at 13h00 return at 15h00
Gate closes 30mins before departure!
*These Daily Cruises are daily Mondays to Saturdays
Daily Bubbles Sunset Cruise
Boarding with a glass of bubbles in hand and enjoying a 2-hour cruise around the dam. Taking in all the sights and sounds of Harties up-close. Canapés’ are served as well as a selection of hot and cold cocktail snacks on this celebratory cruise. There is just something magical about seeing the sunset over Harties.
Departing at 16h00 returning at 18h00
Gate closes 30mins before departure!
*These Daily Cruises are Mondays to Sunday afternoons.
On Sundays you can enjoy a 2 hour Sunday Lunch Buffet Cruise from 13h00-15h00 – Ask us for MORE INFO on this Cruise!
NEW!!! – Ask us for more info!
Breakfast Brunch Morning Cruises on Weekends
Public Holiday Cruise Options
Christmas Eve Cruises!!!
Hartbeespoort Dam, fondly known as Harties amongst the locals, has long been the hideaway and playground of the Gauteng elite. Many years ago, a man by the name of General Hendrik Schoeman, owned a farm called Hartbeespoort. He had the idea of building a great dam, from which the community could gain from (little did he know of the struggle to come).
During 1896 the building of the dam wall, which then cost R10 000 to build, began in the Crocodile river near the railway line that today runs to Meerhof, it was then the largest dam in the southern hemisphere. He named this dam “Sophia dam”, after his wife, but was later changed to the current Hartbeespoort dam.
It was decided 1905 to relocate the location of the wall so as to be positioned between two mountains and the Swedish, August Karlson was hired to engineer the build. However, due to financial problems and the onset of war, construction came to a halt soon after and building commenced again in 1918. Unfortunately, during 1921, torrential rain washed the temporary dam away and out of sheer frustration, August Karlson resigned from his position. The council was left with no one to finish the build, so they hired a young, but talented engineer named F.W.Scott. With the dam finally built, the first road over the bridge was tarred. This became the new road between Pretoria and Rustenburg.
Short facts: Shape of the dam wall is found nowhere else in South Africa.
-250 000 bags of cement were used for the dam wall.
-At full capacity, the dam fills to 205 million cubic meters of water.
Come and experience Hartebeesport from the historically challenged water of Sophia dam, on one of our Daily Cruises or perhaps enjoy their famous Sunday Lunch Boat Cruise (Prices of request).
Additionally providing a range of Special Cruises on Public Holidays. There’s just something special about gently cruising the waters of Hartebeesport dam overshadowed by the magical Magaliesburg Mountain range.
Price Per Person : R445
Prices valid from 01 Nov 2018 – 30 June 2019
Your Harties Half Day Boat Cruise Includes:
Depending on the option you chose as per the description
– Lunch Cruise – Lunch Canapés’ are served as well as a selection of hot and cold cocktail snacks on this cruise.
– Sunset Cruise – A Welcome Bubbles drink & Canapés’ are served as well as a selection of hot and cold cocktail snacks on this cruise
Your Harties Half Day Boat Cruise Excludes:
- Drinks for your own account, cash bar on board
- Any items of personal expense and gratuities.
- Transport to and from the resort for departure on the cruise, please enquire should you require such service at time of making your availability request.
- Entrance & Parking Fees of R50 per adult; R30 per child and R50 per car are excluded from the price quoted, and payable at the location. Then feel free to come early or stay later and enjoy the facilities and space of the resort.
Terms & Conditions
- All rates are subject to final availability at the time of booking and any further rate adjustments due to exchange rate fluctuations, annual increases and other uncontrollable circumstances.
- African Chapter Tours are insured for public and passenger liabilities in incidences where this might be applicable.
- African Chapter Tours abide to an environmentally conscious programme for the development of conservation in all aspects of tourism which this package includes.
- Please visit our website africanchapter.com for more information regarding our operation
- Errors and omissions excluded
- Cancellation policies apply once written confirmation of acceptance is received.
- Pre-payment in full is required to facilitate confirmation vouchers.
- Any no shows will be charged for in full.