1 July 2017- 30 November 2017
Be a local and immerse yourself into the South West Township by opting for the ultimate authentic treat. Hop on a red minibus taxi for a unique trip in Soweto. Pick-up and drop-off at Gold Reef City provides easy access for most Gauteng residents and no visit to the city of Johannesburg is complete without a trip into its largest and most vibrant township of Soweto.
It’s home to more than 1.2-million South Africans and some of the most significant historical events in South Africa took place here. There are several stops (some very short) along the route and when the trip is complete it becomes clear how each stop ties into the theme of our story around freedom, and how through the sacrifices of many of Soweto’s inhabitants, the struggle against apartheid was won.
Best way to explore Johannesburg city and Soweto:
- FNB Stadium (known as Soccer City during the 2010 FIFA World Cup), the biggest stadium in Africa, built in the form of a calabash or Zulu clay pot, traditionally used for serving umqombothi (beer)
- Diepkloof, a diverse neighbourhood
- Chris Hani Baragwanath Hospital, built during the Second World War, the largest hospital in the world
- Bara Taxi Rank, the largest in Johannesburg
- Orlando Towers, a colourful landmark popular for bungee and base jumping, and abseiling
- Orlando Stadium, the first ever sports facility built for black South Africans in a residential area
- Hector Pieterson Memorial in Orlando West
- Vilakazi Street, the only street in the world in which two Nobel Prize winners have lived
- Kliptown Open Air Museum in Walter Sisulu Square
|Total cost based on 2 pax
JNB- Soweto- Hop on Hop off
Your JNB – Soweto Hop on Hop Off Experience Excludes:
- Transport to or from the pick-up: please discuss your requirements with our team
- Gratuities and items of a personal nature.
- Routing is reliant on local knowledge and happenings in the area, no stops can be guaranteed. Ensuring your safety and security is of paramount importance and so we ask that you please adhere to the rules and regulations indicated by the drivers and guides.
- Soweto is a vibrant and exciting space however vigilance and awareness ensures an exceptionally high quality experience and so we encourage your engagement with the community and fellow travellers to ensure you are aware of your surroundings and impacts during your visit to our beautiful country and specifically our beloved Soweto.
- All rates are subject to final availability at the time of booking and any further rate adjustments due to exchange rate fluctuations, annual increases and other uncontrollable circumstances.
- African Chapter Tours are insured for public and passenger liabilities in incidences where this might be applicable.
- African Chapter Tours abide to an environmentally conscious programme for the development of conservation in all aspects of tourism which this package includes.
- Please visit our website africanchapter.co.za for more information regarding our operation
- Errors and omissions excluded
- Cancellation policies apply once written confirmation of acceptance is received. Any no shows will be charged for in full.